German NGO Forum on Environment & Development
Six months after the UNCED in Rio, on December 16, 1992, thirty-five organizations founded the German NGO Forum on Environment & Development in order to promote the following objectives:
- Taking seriously the outcome of Rio and to try to do whatever possible to eradicate poverty world-wide and to protect the environment
- Lobbying both at national and international level to implement the decisions passed in Rio, particularly Agenda 21
- Establishing working groups which, for example, develop position papers on the most pressing issues in the Rio follow-up
- Coordinating education and information programs
- Increasing pressure on government and legislative bodies by joint NGO actions
- Acting as a contact for international partners.
The major purpose of the Forum on Environment & Development is to prepare joint NGO position papers and strategies which can help open new political perspectives and coordinate the input of German NGOs into the international process. Therefore, working groups were established, in which every member organization of the Forum can participate. The Secretariat is in charge of coordination and information.
no news in this list.